Saturday, May 9, 2015

Happy Mother's Day (early)

   Some random thoughts about mothers:

   1. There are lots of them. Every person who has ever lived has had a mother. I look over on my chair and see an open atlas. It has been opened to a page with a state map. On that page are the locations of many cities, towns and smaller places where people live. That state, and the world, is filled with mothers, the vast majority of whom I know nothing at all about.

   2. I know some mothers, some intimately, some better than others, some just in passing, and some not at all. The shaping of my thoughts on mothers is rendered mostly by the ones that I know.

   3. Mothers are singled out by God for honor. Consider the 5th of the Ten commandments.

“Honor your father and your mother, that you may live a long time in the land the Lordyour God is giving to you."

   The question begs: How do we do this honoring? Is it by flowers, by cards, by phone calls on a special day, by any of the other acts that are prompted by society or the advertising world.

   It can be by any or all of the above, but there seems to me to be one very important way, a way that does not seem so special, but touches to the very heart of the one being honored. It is how we live our lives on a daily basis, what kind of person we are when we are alone and no one is watching.

   There are 5 mothers that I know something more than just a little about.

      1. My mother, but I can't get into her mind to know all of her thoughts.

      2. My wife, the mother of our 3 kids, whom I live with and know better than any other.

      3, 4, and 5. The mothers of our 7 grandchildren, one our daughter, and 2 our daughters-in-law. I don't see them on a daily basis and can't know all of their struggles and thoughts. But I can see some of the results of their concerns and prayers.

   I honor all of these that I know, but I give special recognition to the one who does not want any. A lady that worries, prays, works, and is rightly concerned for those that fall under her care.



   God knows the paths she has walked in the past, and continues even today. She walks in the light of His love, even though she does not look for any recognition.

   Happy Mother's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment