Monday, June 20, 2016

When Remembering, Don't Forget...

   As I picked up the paper off the mat by the front door this morning there was this headline right on the front page:

   Woman Killed By Palm Tree Remembered

   A 67 year old lady, walking her dog down by the Village on St. Simons, was killed by a falling palm tree during a wind storm last weekend.

   The situation was tragic, but the word that caught my attention was the one word, Remembered.

   When we age sometimes Remembering is hard.

   That is why I like taking pictures. Pictures are a spur to Remembering and are a point of reference for our times.




   The psalmist wrote in Psalm 78:

   "They forgot his works"

   The Israelites forgot.

   Sure, they did not forget everything, but they tended to forget quickly what God Himself had done for them. They concentrated on the things they did not like right there at that particular moment.

   What do I tend to remember when things get a little rough?

   Do I zero in on my problems of the moment?

   Or do I couch my current situation in the light of all that God has done and continues to do for me each and every day? Do the hard things supercede the accumulation of blessings that span backward from this day all the way back to the Cross and beyond?



   Let my remembering be not focused on me but on Him.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment