Thursday, March 14, 2019

From PB & J..To..PB & V

   The story line for this post is:

   "Seniors may be old, but don't count them out."

   When I was growing up, and even into adulthood, my favorite sandwich was never peanut butter and jelly. There was just something about the combination that turned me off.

   But now I eat them. I have found the two items do go together (unless the jelly is grape), and just the ticket to take on a journey in the car where refrigeration is at the minimum.

   Now this post is not about sandwiches or even about peanut butter, but an altogether different PB item:  



   Pickleball: From what I have heard, it is the fastest growing sport in America. The are many videos on YouTube showing the sport.

   Played on a court, similar to a tennis court, but smaller, with a wiffle ball and small paddle, indoor or outdoor, a sport that all ages can enjoy. I believe it has flourished around senior living centers because it requires less running, less strength and is fairly easy to learn the fundamentals.

   A lady at church invited Carolyn and I to come and see if we might like to play. The indoor facility at Brainerd Baptist sets up three Pickleball courts on the basketball surface in the BX (multipurpose building).

   The group that shows up on Tuesdays and Thursdays there consists of a bunch of ages and skill levels. Beginners and experienced players play separately and together. There is a continual rotation as the various players come on the court and leave. There is an eagerness to both teach and learn, just right for men and women to get into the sport without being too intimidated.



   There is plenty of movement and exercise involved. I have participated 5 times so far, and Carolyn 2, and we come home tired and ready to rest after being on those courts for a couple of hours.

   I write this on a Thursday morning. I'll leave shortly for another session. Ready to move a little, enjoy the fellowship, learn about how to get better, and get some competitive juices flowing.

   Perhaps I should make a PB&J to take with me for lunch.

   Look for a spot to play and a group will invite you in.

   Finding a sport that you can still play at 82 is great.

   Try it out and see.



1 comment:

  1. In high school all I wanted Mom to make me for lunch was PB&J, but it HAD to be crunchy PB and strawberry preserves on Beaver Bread (round loaf made with sprouted wheat - locally made and no longer available). Every once in a while she'd try to slip in a meatloaf sandwich -- that didn't go well ...

    ReplyDelete