Tuesday, March 9, 2021

A Nostalgic Tour of Sorts

    Driving home from church the other day, Carolyn and I took a quick jaunt down Tunnel Blvd. , to the neighborhood of my youth. 

   A little backstory on why: 

   Carolyn and I both were born here in Chattanooga in 1936, but our paths never crossed until the early 80s when our families both attended Brainerd Baptist Church. 

   She lived in East Ridge, then near Lovell Field, the Chattanooga airport, then off Lee Highway near the Tennessee Baptist Children's Home, then off Bonny Oaks Drive near Oakwood Baptist Church where she attended after her marriage. She attended Tyner High School.

   On the other hand, I spent my early years on Tunnel Blvd., a couple of blocks from Brainerd Road, then out in the "country" on Hickory Valley Rd. in East Brainerd. I went to McCallie for my high school years.

   Interesting to me is the fact that all of this growing up time took place east of Missionary Ridge in the Brainerd Section of the city, but we never met. We could have possibly been in a lot of the same places, maybe even at the same time, but never knew it.

   As an aside, when Mayre and I moved back to Chattanooga from Knoxville in the early 60s, we lived in Lakeshore Estates, which is less than a mile as the crow flies from the property she and Bruce owned in Harrison, and where they built in 1971. 

   After we married in 2019, we have had a lot of time to reminisce, and it has been fun to relive our separate lives.

   


   My plan for this journey into the past is to begin here on Tunnel Blvd., in this house built back in 1931, and share things that come to my mind.

   Come join me in the attempt to remember my early life, the people and places that impacted me, and, in general, how we lived back in that "before TV and plastic" era.

  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment