Monday, May 10, 2021

It Happened One Thursday..

   Thursday is Pickleball day. Along with Tuesday, they are my days to play at the BX.

   Since my charming wife has joined the exercise class at the BX, which meets at 10AM, I have changed my playing times on those two days to 10-12. This means we can drive in together, she can exercise from 10-11, and still have time to play in the last hour, or walk the track.

   One recent Thursday morning we showed up at the facility a little before 10. While she went upstairs to join her class, I walked into the gym to get ready to play. Passing by the first 3 courts, I noticed a new player. This was a tall lady, perhaps a former college basketball player, I thought.

   Looking back from the player waiting area, I thought she looked somewhat familiar, but with my memory the way it is, I dismissed the thought and got ready to play. 

   Soon the games began to finish, and the players from court 2 retreated into the waiting area to hydrate and wait for their next chance to play. 

   The tall, rather athletic looking woman was coming my way. Stopping in front of me, she put out her hand and asked, "Don Bowman?".

   Then it all came together. "Sally Thornton", I replied. 

   Sally had worked for me after I took over the management of the family produce brokerage business my Dad had begun back in 1946. After my college days, and a stint in the finance office of the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, Mayre and I had moved back to Chattanooga to work.

   Sally's dad had gone to work for Wayne L. Bowman Co. when my dad retired.  Jim had been a representative for the Washington State Apple Commission in the Southeast. 

   As business continued to increase, Jim suggested we hire his son Van, to join the sales team, and the Bowman-Thornton connection gathered in a new employee. 

   I don't remember the dates, but Sally, Jim's daughter came along after finishing her college basketball career at Tennessee Tech in Cookeville. She was such a good addition to our team that several years later we hired Jim's other son, Paul, to the sales staff.

   That is the back story on the picture. 

   I had not seen Sally since the early 90s, when I sold the business to the Thornton family, and left to teach school at CSAS.

   I found this picture of the Bowman Company, taken in the 80s. 


   Sally is on the far right and I am on the far left. Others on the front row left to right were: Cindy Kelley, my wife Mayre, my dad Wayne, and Carolyn Brown, ..Back row Van Thornton, Jessie Broadnax, Curtis Carroll, Jim Thornton.

   It was a good reunion. Some catching up on family and their lives, plus the opportunity to play some Pickleball with a good athletic lady and friend. I look forward to more games with her as my partner. 

   She is Good...

   Yes, Pickleball at the BX is the place to be. 

   You just never know what might happen or who might show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment