Sunday, August 5, 2018

One Sunday in August

   We live on an Island.

   But for a long time, I did not appreciate the beach. Now, suddenly, the beach at break of day is my favorite place to be.

   It is dark when I arrive this morning.



   The lifeguard's chair is empty and waiting.



   I find that an lot of emotions take place in my heart on these early morning walks. They seem to see me coming and line up to march alongside me as the new day begins.

   There is Thanksgiving:



   Thankful that God has watched over me, that He has made His mercies new every morning, that He allows me to meet him in the quiet stillness of this early hour, that He quiets my soul and gives me peace and strength.

   There is some Sorrow also:



   A friend gave me a bracelet that represents a daughter in law that has cancer, and I pray for that girl and her whole family. She just represents a whole host of folks that are suffering through trials right now, and I feel a certain empathy for all of them.

   But there is also Love:



   I follow a double set of tracks down the beach, people I assume walking together.



   And then I spot them ahead of me, sharing a hand, just being together on the beach.



   Someone else was planning ahead.

   And I think fondly of people who have shared a hand with me in the past, and the present, and will in the future. Hands of help, of strength, and, yes, of love. People who have walked alongside and shared their lives with mine. It is another thing to be grateful for.

   There is also the emotion of Hope.

 

   Hope in the very day that sun represents. Hope in the days that lie out in the future. God is in control. I am not walking my path in the dark and alone.

 



   Yes, the world goes on around me, but I pause in it's midst to think about where I have been, and where I am right now, physically and emotionally, and I smile.

   And I think of the song that I talked about in my last post...

   My Great God Cares For Me

   He even leaves me a couple of tangible reminders:



   Resources for the journey (even a dime will help)



   And a live reminder of prayer with this guy.

   From Thanksgiving to Sorrow to Love and to Hope....and then back around to Thanksgiving again.

   I am Blessed

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully expressed, Don; fully understood and appreciated by me. Like you, the early morning beach walks were where I discovered so many reminders of God’s grace and His love for me. Though we walk singly in this new life, it is so very comforting to know we are never alone. Big hugs to you, my sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete