Monday, July 30, 2018

Music, It Stirs the Soul

   "The man that has no music in himself,
   Nor is not mov'd with concord of sweet sounds,
   Is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils;
   The motions of his spirit are dull as night,
   And his affections dark as Erebus:
   Let no such man be trusted."

   Shakespeare
   Merchant of Venice


   "When man looks for the nature and majesty of creation, Let him look no further than to consider Music." (Anonymous)

   Through this period of my life, I have been handed and given many things.

   Foods
   Cards
   Kind Words
   Advice

   But the one that has enriched my soul during these days is the gift of music. A friend gave me a CD, featuring the musical selections of a church choir in the Atlanta area.

   Some of the songs and hymns I knew.

   Some were anthems sung in worship with words from Scripture.

   But two made an impact on my life and spoke through the events of these past several weeks, simple songs when you hear the music, but deep with meaning for me in these times.

   My Great God Cares For Me

     Autumn leaves start the dance.                        
     Forest trees clap their hands.                          
     Eagles cry                                                        
     Oceans roar                                                    
     Worshipping the Lord                                    
     I join the praise                                                
     Yet stand amazed                                            
     That God, who's so great                                
     Would know what I need                                
     He's always there                                            
     He hears my prayer                                          
     My Great God Cares For Me
   
     Nations rise, Kingdoms fall
     God reigns high above them all
     Knees will bow
     Tongues confess
     To His holiness
     I join the praise
     Yet stand amazed
     That God who's so great
     Would know what I need
     He's always there
     He hears my prayer
     My Great God Cares For Me
                                   
  Take the time to listen to a version of this song on YouTube:
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2XfmoA7GfU

   The other song was entitled Blessings

   Without printing out the whole song, let me give you the chorus, fraught with meaning, especially for me:

   'Cause what if Your blessings come through raindrops
   What if Your healing comes through tears
   And what if a thousand sleepless nights
   Are what it takes to know You're near
   What if my greatest disappointments
   Or the aching of this life
   Is the revealing of a greater thirst
   This world can't satisfy
   And what if the trials of this life
   The rain, the storms, the hardest nights
   Are your mercies in disguise

   Again, you need to listen to the music to get the stirring message of this haunting song. Here it is on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQan9L3yXjc

   Music seems to stir my heart and soul like no other medium. I remember singing with a football crowd after 9/11, God Bless America, and I also get goose bumps when a congregation sings the hymn How Deep the Father's love for us. Music with deep meaning. Same goes for Amazing Grace, especially with bagpipes.

   Why not just sit back and soak it in? I have played these over and over, and have been blessed. Tears come to my eyes when I think of how God has comforted me through music.

   And I am grateful.


1 comment:

  1. I agree! I have a friend who is ADHD and she claims music distracts her. I can't imagine my life without music. My toes tap constantly. I am glad you are finding solace in music.

    ReplyDelete