Saturday, September 13, 2014

Don't Rush to Judgment

   There is an old says about judging a book by its cover. As I think back over our recent trip, these thoughts come to mind.

   We had been at sea for a whole day with all kinds of weather. Periods of sunshine, of rain, of deep clouds and also with blustery winds. We were going to dock in the Orkney Island port of Kirkwall on Friday morning of our second week, and, as my habit was, I woke up early and got up on deck 11 to check out the weather.

   For some reason, I was looking forward to this port of call. A small town right close to the dock in an area of Scotland that spoke of isolation and history, perfect for exploration and picture opportunities.

   As I walked out in the darkness of the predawn, I saw these sights:









   And I thought, "Oh well, we can get off and explore anyway and try to stay dry".

   After breakfast, the announcement was made that we could leave the ship and go ashore. There would be a shuttle bus to take us to the center of that town, and we could come and go as we pleased.

   I could tell from the restaurant views that it was still cloudy, but the clouds were moving along bringing periods of bluer skies.

   So we went, and here is the day we received and the sights that we will remember:



                                                St. Magnus Cathedral



                               The Castle of the Earl



                                The Town Hall

   The Day had not started out so good, but it was a glorious time. Isn't that the way it is in life also? Instead of bemoaning the day from the rainy beginning, I needed to just give it over to the Creator and see what He had in store.

   This street sign as we walked back to the shuttle seemed to be the reminder I needed.



   And the day was one of the best of the whole trip.

   And I am thankful for the day and the message.

No comments:

Post a Comment