Wednesday, April 6, 2016

A Simple Thing Really...

   Way back when, a friend of mine who worked at Krystal in Chattanooga, called on a Thursday evening and asked if I wanted to go to the Master's the next day. Thanks, Cam.


Cam and Becky Scearce (4th and 5th from left)


   Silly question! Especially when the terms of the deal were put forth. A ticket to a Friday round in Augusta, air transportation down there and back on a private jet, and a day on the grounds of the best golf tournament in existence.



   I pinched myself twice and then agreed to the offer.

   That was my first time going to that event. I have been several times since then, but only to the practice round on a Tuesday, never again to the "real thing".

   As I walked this morning, I thought of that first time and the times since then. I thought about the players, the crowds, the beauty of the grounds and all that is associated with Augusta in the Spring.

   I remember little about the course, or the players I watched up close, but there is one thing that I always come back to in my thoughts.

Egg Salad

6 large hard boiled eggs
4 tablespoons Hellman’s mayo
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon finely grated vidalia onion
   The simple egg salad sandwich, on white bread, sold at the concession stands, and, the last I heard it was still $1.50, the best bargain in sport's fare.


   I could not tell you who won the Master's the year I first went, I may have a hard time remembering the year, but my first thought this morning was the Egg Salad Sandwich.

   April, azaleas, green grass, good golf, and most memorable, the cheap good food.

   Doesn't get much better than that..

   The best things in life are (almost) free.

   Simple, Really..

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment