Wednesday, April 20, 2016

I Wonder, a Lot...

   One day, over the last weekend, as Mayre and I were out strolling, we noticed an ambulance parked outside Building One. Making a mental note to check on it, we continued, and, yes, I forgot.

   When I remembered it on Monday, I emailed a man over in that building to ask what was going on. He replied that one of the residents was having medical issues and had been in and out of the emergency room a couple of times over the past few days.

   Later on that same day he emailed again to tell me that this older man had passed away during the  morning.

   Now I knew this man enough to say "good morning" and stuff like that, but I really did not know him beyond that. There are only 42 units in our complex, and a high percentage are part time owners. The people in our building are known to us enough to stop and talk when we meet by the mailboxes or the elevator. With few exceptions, our lives do not meet on any meaningful level.

   The picture that comes to mind is a look down the breezeway, that all of our units open onto, and see a row of closed doors.



   I miss the days of front porches and chairs where people walk by and stop to talk just because you are out there and available.

   Makes me wonder how much of life is missed because of self isolation, even though it is not intended.

   Makes me wonder, too, how many stories and personal interactions I have missed from just not being caring enough.

   And what might I have learned or understood better from interaction with Mr. Brown?

   And what might he have wanted or needed from me?



   There is so much more to life in the way of service and caring than going in and shutting the door.

   Makes a body wonder...

No comments:

Post a Comment