Monday, August 15, 2016

Am I Really Old?

   Well, I know the chronological answer to that question; Sure, I am.

   Maybe I am talking about "old fashioned", do I fit that mold?

   If I am stuck in the TV generation of Andy Griffith or Leave it to Beaver, does that make me old?

   What if I might still be scandalized by Gone With the Wind, and Rhett's line to Scarlet, "frankly, Scarlet, I don't give a ...."?

   How about if my favorite movies would be Casablanca or The Music Man?

   What if some of my favorite photos are of old buildings?




   All of the above are true for me, but does that show that I am truly old or just have a hankering for an older morality and a more simple time, at least in entertainment?

   I thought of all those things as I walked early this morning.

   I admit that I am disturbed by the excessive number of times on TV and in the current generation of movies that are put out there for my entertainment, that the writers go for the "four letter" words to express what they want to get across.

   And there are the many instances of graphic violence and graphic sex, is that necessarily good?

   Yesterday, in our down time, Mayre and I watched a movie streamed on the Internet. The movie, The Ultimate Gift, was good. The acting was good, and the message was also, but I am not plugging the movie, as such, but the website that made it available.

   I had noticed some ads on Internet sites for a new movie subscription service with the name "Pure Flix". Their ads drew me in with a "free" month of viewing, so I signed up, and so far I have been impressed with what we have watched.

   Being able to sit down and watch movies and shows without having to be constantly ready to cringe and flip the dial or turn off the whole thing, is worth a lot to me. I might even take up the monthly charge (about equal to the price of one movie ticket, even for a senior) when my free month runs out.

   If all of the above makes me "old" I guess I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment