Friday, November 18, 2016

Getting Off Main Street

   There is a road, a highway, that leads from Exit 3 on I-95 east into the town of St. Mary's, GA. It is Ga. Highway 40, and has a street name that I don't recall right now. So I will "name" it Main Street.

   The other day, deciding to take a short day trip, my wife and I drove into St. Mary's on this road. It heads east from the busy interstate and dead ends into the Atlantic Ocean right in the middle of "downtown".

   We had been there several times before, and I had duly taken photographs of the various churches of "Main Street".



   There was the Methodist congregation buildings old and new:



   There were the Presbyterians off to the south side of the street:



   There were the Catholics on the corner:

   All these churches had been around in that town for a long time, but as we drove into St. Mary's on that sunlit Monday this week, I noticed a small sign pointing the way to the Episcopal Church off the main drag.

   So we turned to the right, went down a block and saw that church building. It seemed to call out for its picture to be taken, asking to be recognized as a piece of the entity that was this little town.



   Christ Episcopal Church



   From the way the outside looked, both the older sanctuary and the newer one, it appeared that here was a church that was loved and appreciated by its people.

   Now I know nothing about the church except what is written on the sign out front. We don't know any of the people, but there is love and warmth in that place.

   And I am glad that we turned off the main street and found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment