Saturday, November 5, 2016

Whose Definition of Good?

   When I walk out into the new cool of a November morning, I look up.

   True the Big Dipper is there in its allotted space. The Belt of Orion still shines brightly overhead with his sword hanging down.

   But something is out of order...

   As I settle into my reading chair and pick up my Bible, turning to the Book of Joshua where I left off yesterday, I read where the Children of Israel did what was evil in the sight of The Lord, and He allowed foreigners to rule over them.

   Then He heard the peoples cry and sent a person to rout their oppressors, giving them the peace and security they sought.

   Then a quote came to mind and I looked it up to make sure I remembered it correctly..

“I sought for the greatness and genius of America in her commodious harbors and her ample rivers – and it was not there . . . in her fertile fields and boundless forests and it was not there . . . in her rich mines and her vast world commerce – and it was not there . . . in her democratic Congress and her matchless Constitution – and it was not there. Not until I went into the churches of America and heard her pulpits aflame with righteousness did I understand the secret of her genius and power. America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to be good, she will cease to be great.”
Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America 


   There is a lot of talk today about America and Greatness.

   Does the secret of greatness lie in goodness?

   How does our country rate on a scale of "goodness"?



   Greatness does not lie in our monuments or our government or our economy. It lies in the hearts of men and women who get their righteousness from their churches.

   Churches that proclaim the Word of God..in Truth and Simplicity.

   May it be, even for us, in this time..

2 Chronicles 7:14

14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

   And we can be Great only because God considers us Good.

   Not our definition but His..

   Amen 

1 comment: