Monday, November 13, 2017

A Perplexing Pelican and Posing Relative...

   One afternoon on last weekend, we decided to go over to the St. Simons' marina; just wanted to look around and see if there were any interesting birds. While setting up for a pelican-on-a-post shot, a man walked up and began a conversation.

   "You gettin' any good shots of pelicans. My daughter at home loves those birds, and she would be real happy for me to send her a shot taken by a "real" photographer", he asked.

   OK, that got my attention, and so, I told him that I was getting ready to take one now after I got set up. Unfortunately, by the time I turned back to the scene, the brown pelican had flown away. Some pelicans like to pose and others don't.

   I told Nate, a man working on hurricane Irma"s dock damage to the marina, that I had taken a pretty good shot the day before, and, on receipt of his email address, I would sent it on to him for his little girl.


(I sent him this shot)

   Fast forward to this morning. On our way over the causeway to a doctor's appointment around 8:30am, all of a sudden the traffic in both westbound lanes came to a stop.

   A wreck perhaps?

   I could see a car in my lane turned in a diagonal posture, and another stopped car in the median coming east. A funny wreck for sure since there is a concrete barrier in the center of that road. No other cars were stopped there.

   As I got closer, and moved into a new lane that was going to turn right at the next light, we noticed a lady out of her eastbound stopped automobile, and another in front of the her's going west.

   They were animated in their gestures, but I saw no sign of a wreck. What was going on?

   Then there (he/she/it) was, in the middle of the lane-----a pelican sitting contentedly in the road. The bird was not injured that I could tell, but there had to be something wrong for it to be sitting there in rush hour traffic.

   I'm sure, although I could not stay to witness what happened, the ladies managed to get the big bird off the pavement. What they did after that, I don't know.

   We saw no sign of anything out of the ordinary when we returned past that same spot going back home to the Island.

   But I thought it was cool (or neat) that those folks would stop and help a bird.

   I heard no horns as the others driving to work and school this morning seemingly agreed with the rescue, not giving way to frustration for the delay.

   A small token of civility on a Monday morning.

   And I hoped that the pelican was able to be appreciative, and survive another day.

   What relationship between the Pelican on the Pavement and the Pelican on the Post?

   Perhaps they were related, and now both are happy.

   Let's keep Georgia's Wildlife Safe

No comments:

Post a Comment