Wednesday, November 1, 2017

There is This Word...

   I was struck the other day with a word that I thought should be a part of one's life, or at least, one's attitude..

   Wholeheartedness or Wholeheartedly

   I noted this in reading 2 Chronicles 31 the other day in verse 21 referring to King Hezekiah of Judah..

"In everything that he undertook in the service of God’s temple and in obedience to the law and the commands, he sought his God and worked wholeheartedly. And so he prospered."

   And I saw this in the same book, chapter 25, where it talks about King Amaziah in verse 2..

"He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, but not wholeheartedly."

   What a contrast in a life of halfheartedness, and one fully absorbed.

   I would call halfheartedness a type of reluctant obedience, knowing the right thing to do, and doing it, but holding back on a real commitment.

   Unfortunately, I find that I often fall into the "reluctant" category. It is not a problem to see what is obviously the right thing to do, but then "me" gets in the way. I do the "right" thing with the "wrong" attitude.

   It is not hard to remember to do things in an "all in" manner, it is the following through, doing them joyfully as to The Lord.

   Moses, in Deuteronomy 6 writes these words:

   ALL your heart, soul and strength.

   That is the right attitude, all the time, even when no one is looking.

1 comment: