Thursday, November 2, 2017

A TV Update

   A few days back I wrote about doing away with the big all-encompassing internet and tv provider after my bill had dramatically increased.

   So I did.

   I cancelled my subscription to AT&T Uverse and shipped the equipment back to them.

   I contacted Comcast for Internet and residential phone service. They installed it last Friday.

   I took the 1 week free trial on Hulu with their live TV service and subsequently went with them on a monthly basis.

   After one week's use of the new set up, here are my thoughts and takeaways:

   1. I got the channels I wanted at a big savings.

   2. The streaming seems OK, with some glitches inside the programs, like it cannot buffer fast enough. I have not checked it all out for the reason, but it is only occasional and not a material problem (I don't think).

   3. There are 50 hours of available DVR and it has recorded the programs I wanted. This has come with a downside also. Whereas I used to skip through the commercials and only watch program content, you can't do it here. You record an hour newscast, you get the whole hour with no ability to skip some.

   4. The sport content has been good, ESPN channels, Fox Sports channels, CBS Sports, and NBC Sports along with the Golf Channel. There are some games that appear on ABC Sports that I cannot get, but that is not very many.

   5. The picture quality is good, can't tell any difference from the AT&T setup on the HD TV.

   So, those are my thoughts on the first week. I have seen other live streaming sites advertising, and, if mine shows signs of not living up to my expectations, I will check them out, but for now, I am here.

   If anyone else goes this route, let me know, and we can compare. If anyone goes another route with another site, I'd like to know that also.

   For me, a lot of this is uncharted territory, but I think it will work out.

   OR, It will work out, but I'm not sure how, yet.

  


   Back to this maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment