Wednesday, June 27, 2018

A Love/Hate Relationship

   If there is a symbol of my dear wife's life in the months before she went "Home" it would be her ever-present wheelchair.



   She hated it at first, when I was forced to start using it to get her from one place to another. People on the outside would have to always see her in this as we took "walks" around in the condo complex.

   Slowly it became the one thing that she depended on in order to function in the world she was called to live in.

   It is empty now, and that is the way she wanted it.

   I showed this picture to a friend the other day and her comment was "Oh, how that hurts. I am so sorry that she went from "left seat" to a wheelchair. This being a reference to the seating of a pilot as she flies her plane.



   As Mayre Lou came to realize that her ability to get around depended so much on that 4 wheeled contraption, she used it with a more grudging attitude. She needed it to function, and so be it.

   Now it sits in the front room with no passenger. She spent many hours in that conveyance, and we spent many hours together using it. I don't miss seeing the chair, but I do miss her.



   As I walked this morning, in the early dark, a full moon was going down. It will be a new day soon, and it will be a day with an empty chair, but it will not be an empty day. Around very corner there is a memory, and she lives still here with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment