Monday, May 12, 2014

Can I Live by the Sermon on the Mount?

   I admit I struggled with this passage this morning. Matthew 5:17-18 (MSG):

“Don’t suppose for a minute that I have come to demolish the Scriptures—either God’s Law or the Prophets. I’m not here to demolish but to complete. I am going to put it all together, pull it all together in a vast panorama. God’s Law is more real and lasting than the stars in the sky and the ground at your feet. Long after stars burn out and earth wears out, God’s Law will be alive and working."

   And here in the NKJV:

“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled." 

   It seems I can get the overall gist of the passage, that God's Law is still in effect and will last forever, but how do I live it out on a daily basis?

   Just a few verses down in this same chapter, Jesus talks about two of the ten Commandments and gives new meaning to the literal explanation of each.

   There are lots of commandments and laws in the Old Testament, from the "Big Ten" down to dietary laws, health issues, serving in the tabernacle, etc.

   Then Jesus brings all of the commandments down to just two, Love God and Love Your Neighbor, everything stems from that Great Commandment. Sounds easy enough on the surface, but when I begin to ponder what all that entails, I am amazed at the ramifications of those 6 words.

   How I live my life today, not only affects my relationships in the present but will keep on for years to come. I can get my mind around that statement, but it will take more time to reflect on all the other things included in the Torah.

   I have heard people state that they will live by the Sermon on the Mount.

   An admirable thought, perhaps, but do they really understand all that is in these 3 chapter? I sure don't, and I'm not even through the first chapter.

   (Written on the journey to attempt understanding, with God's help.)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment