Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Seeing From My Point Of View

   Sometimes  sit down to read in the mornings, and I just don't see the application, especially when I have an agenda, a certain passage to read, and a wonderment on what it might mean for me, in the time that I live in, and in the situation of my life.

   Today my assignment was Matthew 5: 19-20. In The Message it reads:

“Trivialize even the smallest item in God’s Law and you will only have trivialized yourself. But take it seriously, show the way for others, and you will find honor in the kingdom. Unless you do far better than the Pharisees in the matters of right living, you won’t know the first thing about entering the kingdom."

   An in the New King James:

"Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousnessof the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven."

   I read, and I wonder "how does that relate to my life?"

   "One of the least of these", even the smallest one is important.

   On my outdoor jaunt this morning I spotted a couple of things: One was a pond turtle on the cart path. I could see where he had come up from his water home, leaving a trail in the dewy grass, and I watched as he went back, slithering down through the cut grass and then the taller stuff beside the water before he glided back in.



   I got to thinking about what he saw from his ground view. His vision was limited for sure, but he made it back to where he came from.

   Then I looked up and caught this in my sight:



   An osprey on the wing, moving somewhere or looking for something. His view was much more expansive than the turtle.

   Wherever God has me at the moment affects my view. Ground level or up above, the surroundings are the same, but the viewpoint is different. I may not be able to change those surroundings, but I can take the time to look.

   And what do I see?

   All of God's Word is important. There is nothing trivial or small in there. I may not understand its relevance for my life on any particular day, but I trust that it is there for me when I need it.

   A big picture view like the osprey, or ground level like the turtle.

   The key is opening the eyes and looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment