Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Problem or Solution?

 
   There are tags attached to furniture that look like this:



   "Except by Consumer".

   I am the one who is reading these verses today, so I am the consumer in this case. How does this verse below speak to me?

   Matthew 5:10 (The Message):

“You’re blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God’s kingdom."

   Matthew 5:10 (New King James):

"Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake,
    For theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

   Definition of the word "persecution": What does it mean to persecute?

"to pursue with harassing or oppressive treatment, especially because of religionraceor beliefs;harass persistently."

   Is that me? Even though the idea of the Beatitudes is to show how the blessings of God fall to those who are true to His Word, I have to look at myself on both sides of that word. Am I persecuted, and/or do I persecute?

   I have to admit, that when I read these verses, I did not even think of myself as being one who might persecute others, but I realize that it can be true. In Christian circles, I read of believers who are killed for their faith, but Christians can be unChrist like in their attitudes and words toward others who are different. I can put them down and treat them as inferior and be guilty of this action against them.

   While I want to emphasize the joy of being blessed by God, as shown in these verses at the beginning of Matthew 5, I have to realize that the inverse of the word "blessed" can also apply. I sure do not want to be "cursed" for being in the camp of the persecutors.

   I got a note the other day from a reader of this blog, criticizing me for being so hard on myself, but I often feel that God speaks in my life to show me areas that are not pleasing to Him. Not that He is always looking to zap me, but because He knows that the blessings he offers for right living are so much better.

   So, although I can see other ways to think on this Beatitude, like why I am not persecuted, or how I can be a persecuted person while living here in America, I can also see why God might speak to me in this opposite mode. Kind of like getting the log out of my own eye, before thinking of the speck in others.

   Not self degradation, but self examination, and seeing truth.

   And wanting to be a part of the solution, not part of the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment