Sunday, May 11, 2014

Right Light

   When I read the verses in Matthew 5 this morning, and its references to Light, there is not any question in my mind as to the image that be my focus. I look in my photo file and find over 90 images of lighthouses, and most of them are the same building, our own lighthouse on St. Simons. It seems that every time we go down to the Village area, that tall beacon just thrusts its image into our consciousness as it looms over the whole surrounding landscape. Be it morning, noon, or night, it is there. If I go to take pictures of a sunrise, it is there and calls out to me. It is the same for playground pictures, or beach pictures, or sunsets, or anything, I can't seem to ever go to that area without coming  back with some "light" images.



   One of my favorites, for sure, but there are many "favorites:







   The function of lighthouses is to assure safe passages to ships coming to harbor, and Christians should have the same effect. Matthew 5: 14-16 in The Message:

“Here’s another way to put it: You’re here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We’re going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don’t think I’m going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I’m putting you on a light stand. Now that I’ve put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you’ll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."

   Some lighthouses do not have a working light, one that still shines in its original purpose. Once there was help there, but now it is just a tall structure, a relic of the past.

   God says that a Christian's purpose is to be light-bearers, and all people bear some kind of light.

   I want to bear the right kind of light, a helping and loving light, and He says that I am blessed when I do.

   And I want to be blessed and to hear that "well done".



 

No comments:

Post a Comment