Monday, June 9, 2014

A Response on a Monday Morning

   How busy these past few days have been. Graduation up in Charlotte with all of its trappings and now our VA family here for 5 days with 2 adults, 3 children, 2 foster kids and the dog.

   As I wake up early this morning, sit down to read, think, meditate and pray, my prayer turns to a pleading request:

"Give ear to my prayer, O God,
and hide not yourself from my plea for mercy!"

   This is what I read in Psalm 55, just after expressing the same thoughts as I wrote out a prayer to God. I was feeling the disconnect of too much busy and too little God.

   As I was thinking and praying, the words from Matthew 6 came to my mind:

"After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

   I have thought on these words many times, especially over the past few years, and one part of that prayer especially jumps out at me a lot.

"Thy will be done"

   An easy line to pray, but oh so hard to let it be a central theme in my life. So easy to pray in the mode of que sera, sera (Whatever will be, will be), but not in an active way that says the line is the best for my life at any given time.

   Then I walk, thinking of that portion of the Lord's Prayer along with my personal plea for guidance and help. And what do I see?

   The light from the sunrise, just striking the top of the trees, letting me know it is there, but not yet reaching the ground level where I walk. There is a whole blog post contained in that sight, I know.

   Then there is a small white peg sitting on the cart path, and I think of golf and the "play it where it lies" aspect of the game. There is a lot of life contained in those thoughts also, but, alas, a posting for another day.



   How about the bird's song, loud and clear from a tree just to the right of the path, a tree full of leaves with the songster hidden in the branches? I stop and listen. I get closer and still the songs comes out. Where is he or she? Many times my search comes up fruitless in these situations, but then, there is the small brown and white creature sitting on a branch just about 6 feet or so over my head. As if to acknowledge that its job was done, it flew off after one more loud melody.

   Coincidences on a Monday morning? I hardly think so.

   The answer to a written prayer for connection?

   What more could I want?

   I am blessed, again

   "Thy will be done"

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment