Tuesday, June 3, 2014

A Response to a Prompt

   This morning as I read these verses, I was reminded of a scene from yesterday. (From Matthew 6 in The Message):


“And when you come before God, don’t turn that into a theatrical production either. All these people making a regular show out of their prayers, hoping for stardom! Do you think God sits in a box seat?
“Here’s what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won’t be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace."


   Jesus is talking to his disciples about prayer. I know the gist of the verses may not fit my example, but just the word "prayer" got me to thinking of this.

   I was in the barber's chair early yesterday morning. There were others in the shop, but in the other room, and I was alone with my barber in the back room. When he finished, I asked a simple question about how he was doing. His response, "not so good". As he sat in the other chair, he began to pour out a story of medical problems and family issues. He talked, I listened.

   He is a friend, so I knew parts of the story, but I also realized that he just needed to get some things said.

   As the time moved on, and I knew I had to go, I had this prompting in my spirit and got up to stand behind him and pray over him. Just a simple time, a time of a short prayer for peace for him and guidance for his relationships, but I sensed that he and I both needed that short, special time.



   Sometimes I know I do not act on nudges from God like this one. This time I did.

   And I am glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment