Monday, June 16, 2014

Which Shall It Be, Today or Tomorrow?

   It is mind-boggling to think that there are so many people on this earth at this particular time and that God, not only has the ability to, but seriously wants to, connect with each one and cares about the lives of each one. I get so wrapped up in my own petty things that I easily forget the big picture, but one little verse at the end of a familiar passage draws me back to truth.

   The passage goes through the way that God prepares his world for the birds of the air and the flowers of the field, stating that they are cared for even though they are "just a part of His creation", and how much more does he care about each of His human creatures.

   The 6th Chapter of Matthew's Gospel ends with these words: (from The Message)

“Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."

   It answers the question about what we need to do to live in the knowledge of His love and care, and it is one that I need to be reminded of most every day.

   The verse speaks of several things, but two ideas loom large.

   1. Don't spend my time worrying about things.

   2. The time to live is today.

   God has given man the ability to think, to reason, to plan, but also the aptitude to project and to think of possibilities that can be out there. I can see what might happen, or could happen, but there is no way to see past the end of the particular minute or second that I am living in.

   Does He say that I should not worry because everything will turn out rosy? No, but He says He will be there in the hard times as well as the good. What more can I ask for than His presence and the fact that He cares. I know that is all that I need, but still it is hard to actually live that way.

   Another two listing: things that someone has written about planning:

   1. "Failure to plan is a plan to fail", and

   2. "If you want to give God a chuckle, present Him with your plans".

   God does not condemn planning, He just reminds me to hold those plans loosely in my hands.

   A few weeks back, I was reminded of these verses on worry when I walked through a wildflower meadow, and I realized that all around me were glimpses of His truth.



   And I resolved, once again, to live in the day that has been given to me, and see Him there, and I pray that I can actually do it.

   Oh, so easy to write these words and know they are true, but so hard to make them an integral part of my life each and every day,

   Each and Every Day

No comments:

Post a Comment