Saturday, June 28, 2014

A Solid Example

   The next set of verses from the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 7 reads thusly:

“These words I speak to you are not incidental additions to your life, homeowner improvements to your standard of living. They are foundational words, words to build a life on. If you work these words into your life, you are like a smart carpenter who built his house on solid rock. Rain poured down, the river flooded, a tornado hit—but nothing moved that house. It was fixed to the rock."

   The word that catches my eye is "solid", I guess because it fits this modern day story:

   A couple of years back, I got a call from my oldest son who lives in Charlotte and has a private school that was situated on an old plantation. The house is still standing and is on the National Register of Historic Places, dating from the 1834 era.

  Dwayne said that he had been contacted by a man, a descendant of the Stinson family, who was in possession of an old anvil. One that had come from that old homeplace. Since we lived about halfway between where this man lived in Florida and where the school was in NC, he wanted to bring it up and leave it with us, for eventual transportation back to its "home".

   He did, and there it sat for a few years, until yesterday when Dwayne came and picked it up to carry back to the school, where it might serve as a reminder of the earlier life of that piece of land.



   This morning, as I thought about this heavy and solid piece of metal, I wondered about its use and if I could trace its history.

   Right now, I only know that it is a good example of "solid" and that it fits into my idea from this verse above, but I would like to know more.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment