Sunday, November 15, 2015

Break Out The Hymnal and Sing Along...

   It seems that so many times, it is the conjunction of two ideas that form the topic I spend my time thinking about, and most of the time it is from either a Bible passage, or a devotional, or something I've read.

   And most of the time it is definitely Christian, and that is good. That is the basis that I want to live my life on and that I want other people to see in my life, even when I know there is much more there, incriminating stuff that no one needs to know.

   So this morning I am reading a devotional on the Internet from Our Daily Bread, and it talks about being thankful. Now I like that and try to be quick to have that attitude of Thanksgiving every day. I know I have been blessed, and I know where those blessings originate. God has been so great to me and to my family all through my years.

   I guess that is why my favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. It just fits the way I feel (most of the time).

   After reading some this morning, and as I began to get breakfast ready for us, I clicked my way onto a YouTube video of Best Loved Hymns. I don't know about anyone else (except my wife), but the old hymns have a way of catching my heart and taking me where I want to go.

   I like some of the newer Christian music, especially the softer and reverent pieces, but it is the old songs that have a way of speaking to me. I also like some newer hymns, such as:

      In Christ Alone

      How Deep the Father's Love for Us

   Maybe it is because it takes me back. Maybe it is nostalgia. I don't know, but when we sing an old hymn in church, it moves within me.

   As the hymns were sung on the Internet this morning, one of the amazing things to me was the fact that I knew the words. Not just the first stanza, but the second and the third, and the fourth. Those songs had been imbedded in my mind, and they flowed out as the music played.

   Songs like:

      Amazing Grace

      He Leadeth Me

      Fairest Lord Jesus

      The Old Rugged Cross

      All Hail the Power of Jesus Name

      When I Survey the Wondrous Cross

   So, I can be thankful that my parents had their three boys in church, and that these words and melodies are still in my mind.



   The words still have a powerful meaning in my life today. I know that the older we get, the more we look backwards and love what has gone on before. We can even worship the past and hold it up as the standard, but that is not my point.

   It is the standard of Love, Grace, Mercy and Forgiveness that resonates in my heart as I listen.

   Jesus is faithful, He is guiding, and He is constant.

   That makes and keeps me Thankful

   Break out the hymnal and sing along…



 

No comments:

Post a Comment