Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Too Soon….Too Late



   This from the Brunswick News for this morning 11/18/15.

   I believe this is the 6th year for the McGladrey (now RSM) PGA tournament here on St. Simons. I say I believe, because I count 5 shirts in the closet from my time of working these days in the past.

   The tournament will have to get along without me this time around, so, no 6th shirt right now unless I want to buy one at the shop.

   When the call came in April, via an email, for volunteers to step up again and sign up to work the event, I did so. After all it is fun for me to be involved, to watch good golf, to be up close and personal with the players, and to just be on the course, moving around and getting some good exercise walking.

   But as the time neared, I sensed some unease at being away from home so much, for 6 or more hours per day for the 4 days, and thought maybe this was just not the year to do it.

   You know, there are just some things that require a lot of thought and prayer about which way to go on a certain decision, and there are some that jump out and say "no" or "not now", and this was one of those.

   So, I opted out while there was still time for them to replace me and find someone to take my time slots. Evidently it was not too difficult as they replied to my email almost within the hour. "We understand", was the reply "and we'll look for you next year".

   I walked this morning around 6:30. The sun was getting ready to appear. The sky was a bright orange, and I realized that, if I was working, I would already be at the course, waiting for my assigned group as they begin the pro-am this morning. (the first tee time was 7AM)



   But I knew that my place was at home, watching the event on TV with my wife, not out there plodding around 18 holes with strangers.

   And the right decision is not always to do what I would want to do, but what is the right thing.

   Two choices: one with the emphasis on "I" and the second on "right".

   Too soon old, Too late smart.

   And thanks to God for letting me hang around long enough to get one right.

   Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment