Monday, December 28, 2015

A Ceramic Lesson For Me...

    There seems to come the time before Christmas that we realize we don't really know what gifts to get for our grandchildren. They are growing up so far away from us that shopping for that perfect gift does  not seem an option.

   But we want to give something so that they know that we still love them and want to be involved in their lives. We don't want to be forgotten.

   So we take the easy way out, or, at least, I did this year.

   There are emails from St. Simons to each of the 3 mothers of these 9 kids. They all contain the question:

   "What can we get for your kids this year that they need and will appreciate?"

   The replies come back, either specific items, or they point to a wish list that they have generated on Amazon.com.

   So, from the comfort of my own chair, I go to Amazon and send out 9 gifts, all gift wrapped and personalized with a Christmas greeting, all mailed to a grandson or granddaughter. All delivered on time for opening on that special day.

   The day after Christmas, Saturday, we were preparing to eat breakfast and Granny Lou told me she wanted her coffee in the special mug she had received from one of her granddaughters.



   As I looked at the hand painted mug, I seemed to feel the love that went into that project, and I was ashamed that I had put so little thought into our gifts this year.

   Sure it was easy, and maybe the only way we could get gifts they wanted or needed, but where was  love involved?

   Gifts, like the ones I sent out, can be easily forgotten, and, as the kids grow up, they will be, but I know that every time Granny Lou has her coffee, she will treasure this expression of love. It was "Purrfect". It will be used gently and be a reminder for both of us.

   And I wonder what God feels when we treat the Gift of His Son in an uncaring attitude, when we use Christmas as a season for everything else except gratitude for what He did for us?

“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."

   God gave, and He gave in love for me and for you.

   That mug is my reminder.

 



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment