Wednesday, December 16, 2015

"Listen to what I say"

   There is a danger in being too simplistic.

   And what I thought of this morning runs that danger.

   But it seems to fit.



   I watched the debate on TV last night, and the one overall impression I got out of it before I got tired and went to bed, was:

   8 men and 1 woman talking at the same time trying to get their point across.

   And this morning I thought of a Christmas carol and the three questions and one command contained in those 4 stanzas.

   "Do you see what I see?"

   "Do you hear what I hear?"

   "Do you know what I know?"

   And lastly:

   "Listen to what I say!"

   The picture that comes to my mind as I think about that debate stage last night was a shot of the moderator trying to ask a question and the many voices in the background calling for attention to be heard. I could make out some of the things said but mostly it was just the sound of 9 voices crying "Listen to what I say!"

   In Luke 2, the Bible gives an account of people speaking and listening. The angels spoke and sang and the shepherds heard. Simeon spoke, and Mary and Joseph heard. Anna spoke, and people listened and heard.

   I think of that E.F. Hutton commercial from years back that showed a room full of noise and all of a sudden one person mentioned the brokerage firm's name, and everyone stopped and listened for what was going to be revealed.

   In Luke 2 God speaks, and we need to stop and listen.

   Maybe we could find a leader who fits verse 52,  one that does not have to shout:

"Jesus grew in wisdom and in stature and in favor with God and all the people."

No comments:

Post a Comment