Monday, December 7, 2015

Returning to the Past and the Present...

   This morning, as the quiet of the house enveloped me, and I just sat and enjoyed it, I seemed to be directed to make my early morning times for the days leading up to Christmas a time of going back and re-reading the Christmas Story as told in Luke Chapter 2.

And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed.

   Anytime we hear that opening verse read aloud, we go back in our minds and know what is coming afterwards.

   It is so easy to get caught up in the bustle, and even the worry that accompanies this Holiday, that I felt the need to go back to the source and remember what is said in those verses of this chapter of Luke.

   And as I read again the story of the birth of The Christ, a word seemed to stand out. A word that I knew was there but also was overlooked by me in the many times of hearing and reading.

   From the New Living Translation of Luke 2:

All returned to their own ancestral towns to register for this census. 

15 When the angels had returned to heaven, 

20 The shepherds went back(returned) to their flocks, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen. 

22 Then it was time for their purification offering, as required by the law of Moses after the birth of a child; so his parents took him(returned) to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord.

39 When Jesus’ parents had fulfilled all the requirements of the law of the Lord, they returned home to Nazareth in Galilee. 

45 When they couldn’t find him, they went back(returned) to Jerusalem to search for him there. 

51 Then he returned to Nazareth with them and was obedient to them.

   And I thought of a verse from Matthew's Gospel, talking about the Magi:

12 When it was time to leave, they returned to their own country by another route, for God had warned them in a dream not to return to Herod.

   Returning indicates a going back. It can be a mental activity or a physical one.

   As I thought of revisiting again the Christmas Story, I was impressed to get out the manger scene that my Mom made and painted years ago. We had put out the tree and a couple of other things, but not this:



   But I will today, both as a reminder of my Mom and as one about the true meaning of the Holy Day.

   Then, as the Magi, I will return to the present day and be obedient to what He has called me to do.

   God help me to not only return to the things You have shown me in the past, but to return to doing what You lead me to do in the present.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment