Monday, March 14, 2016

God's In His Heaven, And….

   Did you know?

   That the famous line, quoted in the title of this blog, came from Robert Browning in a poem entitled Pippa Passes.

   The year’s at the spring,

And day’s at the morn;
Morning’s at seven;
The hill-side’s dew-pearled;
The lark’s on the wing;
The snail’s on the thorn;
God’s in His heaven—
All’s right with the world!

   That there is even a town in Kentucky named Pippa Passes.

   That I have even been to that town and stopped to visit.

   That this blog has nothing to do with that town or that trip.

   But the line came to my mind as I walked early in the dark of a Daylight Saving Time's Monday morning.

   You see, I was going over in my mind the final episode of Downton Abbey. One that we watched last night. After all those episodes in those years of seasons of the show, episodes that were fraught with tragedy and broken dreams and other drama, the show ended on a high note, a note of "it all works out in the end" and "all's well that ends well".

   And I like Happy Endings.

   As I walked this morning with the sky dark, but lit with many stars, the Heavens seemed to say that God was still in control, even though the world around seemed to be spinning out of it.

   Man's control, yes, but not God's.

   So I smiled to myself as I thought of the characters in the TV show and how the last episode had put all of them in a happy state. That, to me, seemed right.

   And as I open the freezer door to get something out for our breakfast, I realize that that last line of the poem has struck again..

   "All’s right with the world!"

   A "feel good drama"

   A star filled morning sky



   And a half gallon of Blue Bell in the freezer

   Life is Good

   God is Good

No comments:

Post a Comment