Friday, February 10, 2017

One Day at a Time

   There is a Gospel song that has been around for awhile:

   I've heard it, and I have even sung it, both in a religious setting, and also to myself, as I walked through my days. The chorus goes like this:

One day at a time sweet Jesus that's all I'm asking from you
Give me the strength to do everyday what I have to do
Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus and tomorrow may never be mine
So for my sake teach me to take one day at a time.


   But I thought of it again as I sat and mused about a Wii game that I had been trying to master.

   Let me digress just a moment:



   When our third child was here at Christmas, Doug helped me reset my Wii game. I had not used it in a while, but wanted to be able to do some exercises with its leading. So, we got it rewired to the TV, and I have been using the Wii fit program to stretch some and play some of its games.

   There is one balancing exercise on that disk that consists of trying to steer a bubble down a stream using your weight shifting on the balance board to avoid the hazards in and around the water. It is not easy, and I think I have only made it to the end of the flowing water just one or two times in all my attempts.

   At one point there is a section that puts the bubble, with my Wii person inside, under a cloud and in the dark. There is just enough light around the bubble to see a small distance in front, and, if you try to proceed in a hurry, you can't catch sight of the obstacles in time to be able to maneuver around them, thereby bursting your bubble and ending your round.

   Isn't that the way our lives work?

   As much as we try to see the future and plan for it, we can't see far enough ahead to really know.

   I may wake up in the morning all set to put my life in motion with how I have figured out it will be through the day, or week, or year, or lifetime.

   Then something happens that is not in the plan, My Plan, and I realize, I have moved too fast, I have made all the plans myself, and it is not going to happen that way. My bubble with me inside has bursted, that game is over.

   Am I disappointed, am I bitter, am I mad?

   Is the interruption a problem that I rail against?

   Is it all about My plan, or The plan?

   My attitude in conformance to God's Will, that makes all the difference.

   So for my sake teach me to take one day at a time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment