Thursday, February 19, 2015

Matthew to Hosea to Venice

   Oh, the associations that one's mind makes.

   When I sit down and read Scripture in the morning, I take up where last I left off and read slowly until I feel compelled to stop. Sometimes it is just because I have read quite a lot and think that I should go back and read more closely to see what I missed.

   Sometimes it is because a word, or phrase, or verse of just a thought that comes from this particular part catches my eye and causes my mind to dwell on it to the exclusion of the other verses around it.

   This morning it all started in Matthew 9, verse 13, where Jesus is speaking to the Pharisees who have just chastised Him for eating with sinners.

   Jesus says to them:

      "But go and learn what this means: ‘desire compassionand not sacrifice,’ for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

   This passage uses the words of Hosea 6:6 where God is speaking to the Jews through the prophet.

      "For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; "

   The word that I seemed fixated on was that of compassion or mercy. God's admonition was to avoid the ritual for ritual's sake and emulate the God who established that ritual. Be compassionate and merciful. Live the life, not just do the required sacrifice.

   There is a lot in this thought, but my mind did not seem to want to stop.

   There was a line in the episode of Downton Abbey the other night where the Dowager tells Mary that she needs to learn compassion. I thought of the situation in that drama but did not have time to go back and watch it again to pick up the exact wording. The point was there anyway.

   Then my mind thought of mercy, the very attribute of God that we all enjoy. How about that line from Shakespeare, "the quality of mercy is not strained…

   The whole quotation from The Merchant of Venice:

      The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven
Upon the place beneath. It is twice blessed:
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
'Tis mightiest in the mightiest. It becomes
The thronèd monarch better than his crown.
His scepter shows the force of temporal power,
The attribute to awe and majesty
Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings,
But mercy is above this sceptered sway.
It is enthronèd in the hearts of kings.
It is an attribute to God himself.

   I like it.

   God, help me to be more compassionate and merciful.

   As You have been to me, so do I need to be to others.

   Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment