Thursday, February 12, 2015

Walking on a Winter Wednesday, down by the Water

   Too often, after writing down in this blog what I have felt to be important in my life, I forget it quickly, and, at the end of the day, realize that, although I have been led to think on and write about something, I have failed to live it.

   How is that for a sentence with a bunch of commas in it?

   Yesterday, I was challenged to do my best in all the circumstances I found, to consciously think, when choices came up, of the best thing I could do.

   I don't know how many choices I overlooked, but I did manage to consider the alternatives some of the time. One such choice was how to spend my morning.

   It was a pretty day, sunny but chilly. One thing that my wife likes to do is to go down into the Village area and walk by the ocean, so, instead of just doing stuff around the house, I took her there.

   The paths are level and a good place for her to walk. The crowds are not there in the winter, and there would be time to dawdle along and talk to people along the way. The sun and wind were also factors.

   I also had on my agenda for yesterday to write a letter to a boy in Kenya that we sponsor through the Compassion program, so I took my camera for some shots of our Island to send to him.

   What we saw mostly were people.



   People watching the ocean.



   People feeding the seagulls.



   People with dogs. They said he was a Doodle dog.



   People rockin', restin', readin' on the porch by the Library.

   And we stopped to chat with strangers on vacation. The first couple was from near Roanoke, VA, close to where we lived for 3 years a few years back. When we asked a second couple, a few benches farther down on the path, they also said they were from near Roanoke. They were as surprised as we were when we told them about the first couple we just had talked to, no doubt feeling that they were the only ones from that area on the Island that particular day. Small world.

   Then it was a couple from Allentown, PA and another from Philadelphia.

   The walk was good. The weather was not windy, but sunny and getting warmer. The people were nice.

   It was a good decision to make on this day, and I was glad that I had thought of a better thing to do on a Winter Wednesday.

   It was the right thing to do. No regrets.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment