Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Esther and Me

   One of the readings this morning was from Esther, chapter 1. Now, when I hear about Esther, my mind almost immediately jumps to the verse in the 4th chapter that states:

"For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?”

   "For such a time as this"

   It is easy to see this application in the life of Esther. As we look at her story, and that of her uncle, it is easy to see how Esther has been placed in her position by God Himself, so that she has the opportunity to act on behalf of her people. It may be a challenge for her, it may be dangerous, and it could cost her dearly.




   But there she is. From her humble beginning, she has risen to the place of Queen, and now we can see the reason. It is somewhat akin to the Cinderella story, but with an ending that is still to be decided. She has free will. She has a choice. She could remain silent.

   It is sometimes easy to see the right path for Esther as we look down on this scene from the vantage point of thousands of years, but how about where I stand today. Do the words "for such a time as this" still apply to me?

   Our role in God's story has placed each of us in some positions, positions that call to us to make right decisions for the well being of those that we find in our lives.

   I have a position in my home, one in the homes of my family, in my church, and in the place where I live. The decisions that appear at my door may not be to forestall genocide for a people, but they may be no less important for those affected.

   The way that I conduct myself in these various roles is important, the decisions and the actions that flow from those, no less so.

   God, help me to be conscious of my role in any context, and let me see the "such a time".

   Amen

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment