Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Three Items of Note

   This could be entitled Three Kids of Note, but I did not want to set this up as a bragging piece. Not that I couldn't, mind you, but these things just came up all in the same week, and I liked that.

   First of all, our oldest, turned 53 yesterday. Hard to think of the fact that we have a son that old, but we do and we are proud of all he and his wife Karen have accomplished. They are "white hat" people for sure.

   On a second front, our third child, continues the "white hat" tradition with his family, work and willingness to embrace those two foster kids for the time he and Dawn are keeping them. I realize it is a big commitment, but those kids will never be the same, and I mean both his own three and the two they are helping raise in these days.

   Thirdly, and maybe I should not give so much space to this one, but it is a unique scenario. My conversation with our second child and only daughter has been interesting these past few days. Now I could brag on what she has done with family, kids, work and all, but one day she and I ended up on the same side of a political divide. That is good.

   I noticed on Facebook the other day that she had shared an article about John Kasich, the Governor or Ohio and a possible Republican candidate for President in 2016. I had read one of his books some time back and was impressed with his lifestyle, his ideas and his faith. That Donna and I might end up liking the same candidate was unusual. I was surprised.



   Too many times it seems, the men and women who have leadership roles in the governing of this nation, end up just trying to score political points to make the other party look bad, and don't take the time to actually listen to each other and take their stands seriously. And this is true on both sides of the aisle.

   Perhaps, it is the 24 hour news cycle that makes it appear that way, but these news outlets spend all their time on party differences, seemingly taking one side or the other, and then slanting the news to make the enemy party look bad. That is true on the left or the right.

   I like the idea of a man who can work with people from all sides of the political spectrum, not just if they come around to his way of thinking, but listening to their ideas and treating them, not as sparring partners, but equals in their task.

   But, I like most of all, being able to agree that the things that one man brings to the political table are important and worth celebrating, regardless of party label and regardless of whether or not he wins or loses.

   The moral tone of any debate can be raised a notch with faith as a reason for actions.

   So I say to all my kids, "keep the white hats on and wear them proudly". Whether in work or play or family or even politics, we can be a part of a solution and not part of the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment