Monday, April 27, 2015

A New Definition of "Old School"

   Yesterday, our daughter and husband posted a couple of videos on You Tube that featured their son Archer. You need to watch both to understand all of this. Do it!

   The first one showed him winning the State Algebra One contest, and it is here:

https://youtu.be/8XfS-z3-R2g

   The second one shows Archer and his sister Cady Gray where he gives the reason for some of his correct answers on the test.

https://youtu.be/jWVx8Iku90k

   Now I took Algebra I way back when, and it sure does not sound like anything that I ever learned, and, if so, surely do not remember.

   Another amazing thing about that second video is that Cady Gray and her mother act like they understand what he is talking about while I'm stuck in the far distant past, not comprehending a word of the whole thing.

   "Old School" has a brand new meaning for me. I probably took a course with this same number back in the early 50's and even scored high enough on the College Board exams to be exempt from the final exam that year in Math.

   Did I forget that much in the meantime, or did they change all the vocabulary?

   I should mention that Archer and Cady Gray are not so brilliant that they do not enjoy a walk now and then with their Granny Lou.



   Just Bragging on my Grand Kids, again.

1 comment:

  1. Archer has a compulsion to talk to us about the things he loves, whether that be video games or math, so we have heard about many of these concepts on our weekend walks or during meals and have become a little more familiar with them -- not full understanding, but enough of a grasp of the general language that we can occasionally ask a question or make a comment that isn't totally clueless! I think Archer really hones his communication skills by trying to translate what makes sense to him into what might make sense to us, and other laypeople.

    ReplyDelete