Saturday, April 18, 2015

A Stress Free Island, and Thanksgiving...

   As I sat in the stands at the back of the 11th green yesterday, one thought came stomping through my mind:

   NO STRESS

   Now, it sure was not in the faces of some of the players in the RBC Heritage Classic in Hilton Head. They were intent on making the cut to get into the weekend pairings. I had watched as one golfer almost made a hole in one, rolling right by the hole and ending up a couple of feet beyond. He carefully lined up a sure birdie putt, and then missed. He walked around, he knelt to get a new line, he walked some more and then missed the par putt coming back, settling for a bogey. He was not happy.

   He was stressed.

   But I did not have to make the cut. I did not even have to make a club choice. I did not have to do anything but watch, and the feeling was great.

   All of this was not even on my radar just a few hours earlier.

   I friend called on Thursday night, offering a ticket and a ride to the PGA tournament just a few hours drive up in South Carolina. He was driving up, would give me the ticket and the ride up, and my wife insisted that I go. With my arm properly twisted behind my back, I agreed, and at 10:30 the next morning, we were on the bus from the parking area, heading for the Harbor Town course along with a bunch of other fans.



   With no agenda for the day, we watched a local St. Simons player for a few holes, then found another local and followed him. Neither did real well, and we realized that we sure were not bringing them any luck on the course. We just watched whoever came through where we found ourselves. I watched on several holes, while he went to a different spot, meeting up again after a couple of hours.

   No line at the concession stand, a BBQ sandwich, a bathroom break, some more players played by, crowds moved back and forth on the cart path, cheers for good shots, oohs for near misses, and the action swirled around my little island of stress free living.

   Even as our day on the course was ending around 5PM, the walk from our last stop to the bus stop was easy, the busses were ready, and the line moved quickly. The bus ride was nice, the seats were comfortable, we found our car, and we were on the road home without a hitch.

   We stopped for gas, and the station had run out.

   MacDonald's milk shake machine was broken.

   Nothing could break into our day. A laugh, and we were on our way again.

   Another gas station, with fuel this time, and a DQ with working equipment,  an Interstate highway with swiftly moving traffic, good conversation, and home by 8:30.

   What a day.

   The psalmist says to honor God with sacrifices of thanksgiving, and I do.

   And my friend as well.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment