Saturday, July 4, 2015

Those Who Serve

   Sitting in a patriotic service the other day, there came the time when all of the various military branch songs are played, or sung, and the men and women who served in those areas are asked to stand and let the crowd express their appreciation. I realize a lot of what people have given our country by their service, and I am always hesitant to stand with them when the Army song is played.

   Most of the time someone with me will comment like, "go ahead and stand, you served", and my reply is usually, "but my time was only in the Reserve, and I had no active duty time except training at the annual two-week summer camp. I don't deserve any recognition."

   To me, that kind of service pales in comparison to so many who gave so much and stood in harms way. I never heard a gun fired in anger in all my 7 years in a weekend uniform.

   In contrast some of my friends served years on active duty, some in overseas posts and some in conflicts that truly was hazardous duty.

   All this came to my mind the other day when Mayre and I were out in Long County looking at some old churches. As I walked through an old cemetery, I noticed one tombstone.


   This man had died in the Pacific Theatre in the last year of WWII. He had given his all for our country. Since this stone was in his memory, I presume that his body was not recovered or it was buried in a war cemetery somewhere over there.

   I joined the Army Reserve in 1956, two years into college. My term of enlistment was 6 years, 4 in the Reserve and 2 years on active duty. My reason was simple: I would be able to finish college before I had to go on active duty, and I would not be drafted.

   Before I graduated, my enlistment term was changed to 7 1/2 years in the reserve and 6 months on active duty.

   As I served in various Reserve outfits where we lived during those years, no one ever sent me orders for active duty, so I continued with my life, giving only that 1 weekend per month and the 2 weeks in the summer. It was not hard duty. There was talk of being called to active service when the Berlin Wall was built and during the Cuban Crisis, but it did not happen.

   When the opportunity came to re-up or take my discharge, I opted for the later and hung up my uniform without ever having to serve in an active status.

   Looking back, I guess I would have served my time if called, and I would have served if one of my units had been activated for any reason, but it never happened.

   When I try to explain my reluctance to be recognized for serving in the Army, and give a person my record, the question is usually asked, "but you would have gladly served wherever and whenever the government ordered, wouldn't you?"

   And I guess I would have, but I still keep that feeling of inadequacy when I see and hear what others have done and are still doing.

   I am proud to have worn the uniform, but prouder still of those who have done the same and gone beyond. Their's was true sacrifice.

   God Bless The United States of America and the men and women who have helped to preserve our land and the freedoms that we enjoy today.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment