Wednesday, May 25, 2016

One More Story...

   Bear with me for one more Courthouse story.

   Fairfield County, SC



   County Seat, Winnsboro

   As we bore down I-77 from Charlotte last Friday, the town called our name out loud, and we had to move off the Interstate and visit.

   Who would not want to see and experience a courthouse in continuous use since 1822? Hey, that is getting close to 200 years.

   Trying to get a shot that was unique to this particular county, I dropped into a furniture store across the main street and asked if they minded my shooting out the front window.

   "Sure, make yourself at home."



   As I finished, and thanked the lady behind the counter, she said, "the view from the second floor is better. Would you like to go up there?"

   It was a rainy day, there were no customers in the store that morning, so why not?

   She opened a door on the side, and we climbed the stairs. This was not a display floor, just a big space with several odd pieces scattered about. Some of it was more in the decor line than furniture.



   My guide pointed to the front of the store and said, "Just raise the blinds and you'll be able to get a good look at our old courthouse". Then she left me to my devices and went back to her desk downstairs.

   No problem, right?

   I went to the middle window, pulled the cord to raise one of the two blinds, and the plastic thing fell to the floor. The whole thing, brackets and all. Just a couple of holes left to show where it had been.

   Seeing no way to get it back up, I decided to raise the other blind on that window in order to get a good full shot, and, down it came, too.



   I had two blinds on the floor, but I did have a good view.

   So, I shot.



   Knowing all I could do was to fess up to the lady downstairs, I decided to take a few more and then swallow my medicine.

   The 100 year old town clock was right next door and calling, so I took it, too.



   Then  I retreated to the ground floor and confessed to what I had done.

   "No problem, I'll get someone to put them back up. Did you get what you wanted?"

   I was almost tempted to buy some furniture, Almost..


No comments:

Post a Comment