Thursday, April 20, 2017

The More Simple Things..

   Perhaps, in my older age, I am becoming more like a child again, taking pleasure in the more simple things of life, and seeing in them what is more important, at least to me.

   Why would I, rather than watch and listen to the words of the newscasters and pundits, sit down and read children's literature, and take note of the jewels of nature and Nature's God?

   Two examples from the past few days:

   I have mentioned before that I read to my wife out loud. We have read a lot of books over the past few years, but I have found that it is increasingly difficult for her to follow the plots and keep up with the various characters. This is frustrating for a woman who majored in English in college and loved to read.

   So, in the last few days, we have begun to read the Chronicles of Narnia books by C.S. Lewis. Now this is not a chore for me, I have enjoyed them and look forward to continuing the stories each day. We have finished The Magician's Nephew, and have begun The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe.

   I had read somewhere recently that everyone over 60 should go back and read the Narnia books again, revisiting the stories and imagery of Lewis to see them with the eyes of old age, both for enjoyment and wisdom.

   So we have, and it has been a delight for both of us, except for the fact that my reading tends to put my wife to sleep. So I try to keep the readings short, for both of us.

   A couple of days back, we had gone down to the pool area in the morning before lunch. We were enjoying the outdoors and the story, when I noticed a gleam coming from a bush planted beside the poolside. Thinking I knew what was causing this, I looked more closely and discovered a combination of water and nature that needed capturing with my camera.

   I'll let the images speak for themselves:




   The goodness of a simple story, and the beauty of Nature.

   Simple things from God to delight our way.

   We are blessed, and we know it.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment