Monday, April 23, 2012

Considerations

   I often say that there is no such thing as a coincidence in life. Everything happens for a reason and there is a purpose for the things that come into my life. So I consider the readings for today:

   The reading from Psalms states: 41:1 "Blessed is the one who considers the poor!"


   The reading from the Gospel contains: “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."


   Then there is the message from one of our pastors yesterday that, in part, asked the question: "How much is enough?"


   Do I sense a trend here? Is my attitude toward the poor important? The poor in material things as well as the poor in spiritual things? 


   So, how do I consider the poor? Do I just think about any that fall into this category, and then say I have done my duty? What constitutes consideration? Is this consideration purely academic, or does it also involve an action on my part?


   I am certain that this whole process requires some doing on my part, from examining my attitudes to a parting of resources in this direction, but I also sense that it needs to be more than a one-time thing. Consideration needs to be a lifestyle, but, I confess, I don't know what it looks like.


   God, help me to listen to You in this area and see others in Your light. Also help me to not only listen and see, but to follow through on what You reveal. Make me willing to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment