Sunday, April 29, 2012

Today Has Never Happened Before

   How easy is it to fall into a pattern, no matter how good it looks, but fail to see or hear what is right before our eyes and falls on our ears. I can even confess, and rightly so, "This is the Day that the Lord has made" and go about my routine without anticipation of what might be in store.

   The narrative recorded in Luke 4 has Jesus going to the synagogue on the Sabbath, as was His custom, but my mind this morning seemed to focus in on the other people of the town of Nazareth who also did what they always did on that day of the week, they went to the synagogue. Why?

   As I sit here at this early hour, with my day stretching before me, with the activities already sketched out in my mind, what is my perspective? Do I see a purpose in what I do, or do I just do it because I always have, or even because it is the right thing to do?

   Here is my proposed schedule for the day in brief:

   Get up and read the Scripture and write my blog.
   Go to our church service, which is in the Park at the pier this morning.
   Come home and spend the afternoon.
   Go to a home group and lead a session on the Truth Project.
   Go to bed.

   Just like the people of Nazareth, my day is filled with good things, things that are right to do, but what is the object of this activity?

   The people of that Jewish town got to hear Jesus at their synagogue that morning. They marveled that a man that had grown up in their midst was so eloquent a speaker, but, by the time He finished, they were ready to kill Him. I'm sure they sure did not anticipate what would happen in their lives when they left home to worship that morning.

   What do I anticipate this day? Will I be any different when I lay down to sleep tonight than I am right now? Will I just say, "same old, same old", or open my eyes and ears to hear and see, really hear and see, from God today?

   This particular Sunday has never happened before. It is not just another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment