Friday, April 20, 2012

Repent 2.0

   Here is the scene: John the Baptist has been arrested and put in prison. His voice is stilled by Herod, but then here comes Jesus, preaching the same message, "Repent for the Kingdom of God is a hand". (from Matt. 4:12-17)

   Jesus took up the same message that had characterized the preaching of John, Repent, repent, and that is still the same message that we need to hear in our day. I know, deep down, that my life is full of sin, and I know that I cannot stand before a Holy God in that condition. I need the blood of Christ to cover up all this so that God only sees Jesus and not me standing there. I acknowledge my failures and accept the sacrifice of Jesus on my behalf, so that I can be justified forever.

   Repent, what does that mean? It is a willingness to see myself as God sees me. It is more than a quick "I'm sorry", it is a true conviction that I have done wrong, and I regret it deeply that I have gone against the standards of God.

   Repent, it is not a one-time thing either. Even if I have done it in deep contrition once before, long ago,  when I asked Jesus to make me a new person, I need it every day. My life did not all at once become a perfect one. My old nature still sins, and I am in need of a new cleansing each and every day. What kind of things characterize my life still?

   Well there is always that self pride, that assurance that I can do it on my own. There is that sense of selfishness that says it is all about me. It is putting my will ahead of God's. The list could go on and on.

   God, help me to continue to see my life as You do, and help me to listen to Your voice as You again call me to "Repent".

No comments:

Post a Comment