Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Really Listen

   When Mary Magdalene comes back to the disciples with the word that she has seen Him on that resurrection Sunday, Mark in chapter 16 says "they would not believe it."

   In the same chapter, when Mark relates the experience of the two men on the road to Emmaus and their return to Jerusalem to tell the other disciples, he writes, "but they (the other disciples) did not believe them."

   Belief in the experience of others is hard. It is so easy to be skeptical and to explain it away with a shrug and a hand wave. What does it take to truly believe?

   I believed what the Bible said about Jesus and about God's love and grace and mercy, but until I actually felt like He was calling me, my belief was shallow and not worth very much at all. Most of the time it was like the man who answered Jesus' question about his belief and stated "Lord, I believe, help me in my unbelief".

   Until God calls me in some way, all of the experiences of others may ring true, but are not transferable to my own life and situation. The disciples believed in Jesus, but at that moment of despair in their lives, it was not enough. Only after they had experienced Him personally, did they truly believe.

   So what is my responsibility in all of this belief stuff? After I have accepted what the Bible states is true, and after I have accepted the testimony of others about God and Jesus, what do I need to do?

   In my experience, I believe that I need to keep putting myself in places where I can hear God speak to me in some way. Maybe physical places, maybe situational places and maybe just in the attitude of wanting to hear and trying to listen.

   Easter is a great time to hear what God is saying to me (and you). I will hear words in song, words from the pulpit, words from the Bible and words from other believers. All of these words can be true, but not enough. I need for God to make it personally true for me. I need to put myself in a place where He can get my attention and speak those words into my life.

   God, help me to get out of myself, my intellect, my abilities and my self justification. Help me to listen as You call.

   Really Listen....

No comments:

Post a Comment