Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Do Not Be Afraid

   The words "Do not be afraid" appear twice in the narrative in Matthew 28. Once when the women come to the tomb and see the stone rolled away, and once when they meet Jesus as they leave that same area.

   Are those words for me today?

   Who would not be scared if they came upon an angel or one came upon them? Surprised, awed and scared would be the emotions that I would feel, I know. But how about being afraid of Jesus? I thought He was supposed to be meek and mild, full of grace and love. What is there to be afraid of here?

   When Jesus met the women returning from the tomb, I'm pretty sure that He wanted to reassure them that it was indeed He, that He was not a ghost, and that they were not just dreaming all this up. I would want this calm assurance also.

   What if Jesus was to call me into His presence today? Would I have some fear? Are there commandments that I have not kept? Are there words of His that have not guided my life? Has my time been well spent? Would I be fearful that I would not hear His words, "Well done good and faithful servant"?

   Perhaps fear is too strong a word to be used in this instance. Maybe I should use embarassment, or shame or extreme discomfort.

   True fear would be meeting Jesus one day and realizing that I had slandered His name and not accepted His sacrifice for my sins.

   Do not be afraid.....Trust Me

No comments:

Post a Comment