Saturday, November 10, 2012

Great Scott! God Does Not Really Want Me To....Does He?

   On Thursday this week, I posted a blog about "Seizing the Opportunity", and today all of that comes back to haunt me. In that post, God seemed to tell me that I need to be proactive in responding to opportunities that He puts in my path, not just reacting to circumstances as they come along. When I penned all of that, it seems like my major emphasis was on Christians in general along with the role of the church.

   This morning, at least two things seemed to be directed at me in the two Scripture passages that were the reading for today.

   In Luke 16 this phrase appears:

   "Use your worldly resources to benefit others"

   And in Psalm 90 is this one:

   "Teach us to realize the brevity of life,
    so that we may grow in wisdom."
   How do I see them coming together to affect my life, right now, this day, in this time?

   I see my attitude toward money in two ways this morning, and I am convicted over both. On the one hand, I want to be sure that I have enough to last out my days on earth and to leave enough, if I die first, to ensure that my wife has enough also. In the second place, I tend to be selfish with how I handle  what God has allowed me to have. I deny myself very little in the way of material comforts and pleasures, while not thinking of any alternatives for the use of my assets.

   Are there changes to be made? If so, how can the left hand of conviction be implemented without the right hand of responsibility be forsaken? How can something be done in this area without someone saying "you are great to do this"?

   Carpe Facultas

   Do I believe what I wrote on Thursday, or was it just another post I felt should affect others? Is my purpose only to write or is it to respond? Do I write from the heart or just out of my mind?

   Those two paths of Scripture this day come together to point the way. I don't see the outcome, but I do see the direction.

   Seize the Opportunity

No comments:

Post a Comment