Monday, November 12, 2012

Sometimes a Truth Can Become Flippant

   Yesterday at church, I had a couple of conversations that lead me to this thought this morning. These can be summarized like this:

   I was talking to one man who was distressed about a family situation that may or may not work out. A marriage is in jeopardy, an entire family is stressed, and no one knows exactly how to handle it. There are at least two uncertainties about the whole thing; as to the way to handle it and the possible outcome and its fallout.

   Then as I walked across the atrium on the way to the sanctuary, I spotted a man that I have played tennis with on occasion. I called out to him, and he stopped to talk for a minute. It was as if the meeting was preordained, and, from his response to the greeting, I knew that he was needing someone to talk to.  It turns out that he had lost his job and was looking for another. He stated that, regardless of all his effort, both in the prior job and in the job search, he had realized that "he was not driving the bus.".

   Both men had come back to the truth that God was in control, and I am sure that they were both sincere in their belief in that statement. They both had realized their inability to work the situation out on their own, and, that no matter how much they worried or tried, the ultimate doing was from God's hand.

   I am not in control, God is. That statement, as true as it is, can be uttered in two completely different ways. One says that there is nothing that I can do, so I will just sit down and see how God works it out. The other says that I realize the truth of that word, but I need to keep looking for God's direction and following it. God is truly in control, but he may want to use me to be a part of the solution.

   GOD IS IN CONTROL, and He does care abut each person. He wants us to trust Him in all of life's joys and problems, but He also wants us to use our responsibility, as His agents, to go where He leads and to become His hands and feet in the solution process.

   GOD IS IN CONTROL, and I can say that with conviction or with resignation.

   God, please don't let me be flippant, saying it and going on my merry way.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment