Sunday, November 25, 2012

Proud or what?

   Two images come into my mind this day, as I think back over the past few days. We spent Thanksgiving in Virginia with Doug and family and then  went on down to Charlotte on Friday to see that family and, in particular, the kids (not really, but teens) run a race on Saturday, before we came on back home that evening.

   As I read the Psalms this morning, this verse spoke to one of those images:

His (God's) delight is not in the strength of the horse,
nor his pleasure in the legs of a man,
but the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him,
in those who hope in his steadfast love.


   Then I think of the picture that goes with it, at least in my mind:

 

   Is this guy proud or what? I noticed a man looking this pleased with himself, strutting around the race area Saturday after his race, with his medal proudly displayed on his chest.

   Then another verse from another Psalm:

   (The Lord) who executes justice for the oppressed,
who gives food to the hungry.
   Then another picture from the day before Thanksgiving:

 

   This is not a picture I took (or the other one either) but we did encounter a man, standing near the entrance to a grocery store, with a sign that said, "No Food" on a piece of cardboard.

   Now I can't really look into the mind or heart of either man that I encountered over those few days, but the contrast is striking. I don't know if the begging man was actually destitute and hungry, and I don't know about the runner either. But God knew both.

   I have a hard time deciding what to do when I meet up with a person asking for some handout. I know that can be a scam and just a job for some. But I also know that there are people out there who do hurt and who do need. So what do I do?

   Well, I figure that if God puts me in their path, or them in mine, I should have His heart toward them. So, if the sign says "I'm Hungry", I give them some food. Now I know that is a very little thing to do, and maybe I should at least stop a minute and talk to them with some encouragement, but the least I can do is acknowledge them as a person, and not just a road sign.

   I don't want to say "God Bless you and be filled" and go my way. In that case I could be a part of the problem and not of any solution. So I give and leave it to God to know the outcome. He cares and I want to also.

   I didn't get a medal either.....



1 comment:

  1. Perhaps the man you saw "strutting around the race area" was not solely pleased with himself and his performance, but pleased to be home and with his family.

    While success represents an occasion to be pleased with one's self, it also presents an opportunity to reflect on the conditions that made that success possible. In this scenario, supporting family represents those conditions.

    Thus, I would hesitant to draw parallels between an overly prideful man, depicted above, with a man who is simply happy.

    ReplyDelete