Monday, November 5, 2012

How To Vote

   Yesterday I read a blog post from someone who had decided to put, in writing, her reasons for voting for a particular candidate and party in the national election tomorrow. I have known this lady for some time, and, although we do not talk politics in anything but the most general terms, I knew where she stood.

   Now, I do not agree with her assessment of the presidential candidates and the parties they represent, but I do agree with the attitude that she brings to her arguments. She writes: "However you vote and whatever your political actions, I think they should come from love rather than hate, determination rather than fear. I write simply to say that for the first time, I'm trying to live that out in public and not just in private."

   I'll even put a web address so anyone else can read it also:

   http://uniontrueheart.blogspot.com/2012/11/apologia-pro-se-voto.html?

   When I read the Bible passage for this morning, this verse seemed to speak to the same subject:

   " Quickly, get out into the city streets and alleys. Collect all who look like they need a square meal, all the misfits and homeless and wretched you can lay your hands on, and bring them here."

   This is not to say that one party has all the misfits of society beholden to it, not at all, it just says to me that God cares for all of mankind, not just the marginalized of society, and the message of the verse in Luke 14 is that I should care, too.

   God cares for all of those who suffer because of circumstances that they cannot control. He also cares for those who have gone against what the Bible says, no matter their party affiliation. He cares for the up and out as well as the down and out. He cares about bosses and workers, union or not. He cares for me and not where I fall on the political spectrum.

   God comes from an attribute of love, not of hate, when it comes to individual people. He may hate our sins, because He is just, but He does not love us any the less because of them.

   Again, the Bible states in Romans:

   "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"

   All, as in everybody, me included, as well as all those that I have mentioned above. So I voted in this election for the man and the party that I felt would bring the best for our country as a whole, knowing full well, that no man or party has all the answers. Only God does, and only He can bring the restoration and healing that we need.

   But I pass on the admonition of the blog writer above:

   "However you vote and whatever your political actions, I think they should come from love rather than hate,"

   And I say a hearty amen to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment